MS Class of 2019, Philippines
“Let’s talk about how data science can help improve and understand our lives, well-being and experiences in cities.”
Marvin S Mananghaya is a Masters of Science student at Center for Urban Science and Progress at New York University. His interests lies in Citizen Science, Transportation, Spatial Analysis and UX. Prior to CUSP, His work is in innovating, optimizing and maintaining end-to-end analytics systems. In a team, most his time is spent as a developer but he also performs the data analysis, business analysis requirements and provides direction and supervision to a project or teams he lead. Occasionally he provided training to both internal and external clients and mentorship to junior colleagues.
Previously, he provided his services to Standard Chartered Philippines in support of various teams in their retail banking group and operations group. He has experience delivering projects with organizations from sectors in financial services, telecommunications, government agencies, fastfood, retail and FMCG during his days as a consultant with SAS Institute Philippines (through Acquire Computer and Communication).
Most Recent Professional Experience
Standard Chartered Bank, Retail Analytics Analyst
- Provided cross-functional statistical support to team heads in the products & segments department and the retail operations department and developed/modified programs for outsourced processes in Chennai.
- Initiated process automation of the analytics team periodic reports that reduced reporting turnaround time by 80% and team headcount requirements by 2 – 3 members leading to cost reductions by at least Php 2 million.
- Identified and remediated various data quality concerns to meet internal and external regulatory requirements resulting to the development of a datamart used by the analytics team.
- Improved name screening program, improved fuzzy matching accuracy and reducing runtime from 3 hours to 30 minutes.
SAS Institute/Acquire Computer and Communications , Associate Technical Consultant
- Assigned as a full-time contractor to SAS Institute Philippines as a business intelligence lead consultant specializing in visual analytics.
- Deployed to 11 end-to-end analytics projects in various industries such as financial services, government agencies, retail, telecommunications, fast food and brewery; lead 3 of the 11 projects that usually consists of 2 – 4 consultants.
- Developed simulations and statistical reports for customer profiling study in optimizing a bank’s anti money laundering system detection parameters for suspicious transactions, which lead to continued service relations with the bank.
- Pioneered a set of system integration best practices that improved SAS-Hadoop system integration that improved a telecommunications company’s 4 – 8 hour processing task to become a 20 – 30 minutes task.
- Developed and conducted on-site technical demos of SAS Visual Analytics to various customers; performed data engineering tasks and developed report templates that is carried over and used by full implementation projects.
- Performed business analyst functions such as business user requirements, estimated project timelines and resource requirements.
- Conducted trainings to clients and other employees, as well as mentored junior consultants.
De La Salle University, Philippines, Manila
BS Applied Economics and BSc Management of Financial Institutions
Other Degrees & Certifications
University of California, Berkeley & Databricks
- CS100.1x Introduction to Big Data with Apache Spark
- CS190.1x Scalable Machine Learning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 6.00.1x Introduction to Computer Programming Using Python
- BAMM.101x Analytics in Python
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- A Data Scientist’s Toolbox
- Exploratory Data Analysis
- Practical Machine Learning
- SAS Macro Language 1: Essentials
- SAS Programming 1: Essentials
- SAS Programming 2: Data and manipulation techniques
- SAS Enterprise Guide 1: Querying and reporting
- SAS SQL1: Essentials
- SAS Data Integration Studio 1: Essentials
- SAS Visual Analytics: Fast Track
- Creating Business Intelligence for your organization: Essentials
- SAS Deployment Wizard
- Full-time employment
- Part-time employment