Free Online Programs
We highly recommend taking a free online course to augment your technical skills or prepare for the program. We suggest one of the following:
- Intro to Data Analysis
- Introduction to Descriptive Statistics
- Introduction to Inferential Statistics
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Linear Algebra / Math
- Data Camp
- Udemy – Data Science Courses
- Udacity – Data Science Courses
- UC Berkeley – Foundations of Data Science (free to audit)
- Harvard – Algorithms for Big Data
- Caltech – Learning From Data: A Machine Learning Course
- MIT – Introduction to Computer Science and Programming in Python
City Challenge Week
City Challenge Week is an intensive orientation that will introduce you to CUSP, fellow students, partners, city agencies and NYU resources. This year it will run from August 26th to August 29th, 2019.
A full schedule for City Challenge Week 2019 will be available in the summer.
Urban Computing Skills Lab
To prepare for the specific types of urban computing and data analysis you will engage in at CUSP, you will receive a link to this online prep course. The UCSL is designed to walk you through some urban science analyses and tasks and can be completed at your own pace, and also more than once. It is free for any admitted student and we highly recommend completing the UCSL prior to enrolling.
If you feel you need additional resources or wish to dive deeper into some of the content areas, please review the links under “Free Online Programs” above.
More information on the UCSL will be available in Summer 2019.