Free Online Programs
We highly recommend taking a free online course to augment your technical skills or prepare for the program. We suggest one of the following:
- Intro to Data Analysis
- Introduction to Descriptive Statistics
- Introduction to Inferential Statistics
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Linear Algebra / Math
- Data Camp
- Udemy – Data Science Courses
- Udacity – Data Science Courses
- UC Berkeley – Foundations of Data Science (free to audit)
- Harvard – Algorithms for Big Data
- Caltech – Learning From Data: A Machine Learning Course
- MIT – Introduction to Computer Science and Programming in Python
Tandon Summer Scholar Program
Jumpstart your NYU experience this summer by taking a brand new online course with CUSP!
Urban Computing Skills Lab: Introduction to Programming for Solving City Challenges
- Instructor: Martina Balestra
- Class Dates: Wednesdays, 4-6 pm EST; June 10 – August 12, 2020 OR at own pace
- Location: Online
- Full Syllabus
- Registration Deadline: June 5th, 2020
The Master’s program in Applied Urban Science and Informatics is a unique program that brings together people from diverse backgrounds and career paths who have found a passion for applying analytical skills to problem-solving in an urban context. Because of this wide variety of backgrounds, you may be entering into this program with little computer science background, or have less familiarity with urban challenges. This course is designed to help build a common skill set and familiarity with the techniques, concepts, and models for urban informatics computing. The online sessions will focus on building programming skills and using python to explore data and deploy statistical methods needed for urban analytics. These skills will be put to use in a series of challenges in which you will work with urban data. Finally, a series of talks by researchers at the institute will showcase some of the urban challenges that they are tackling in their work.
The course covers all the technical content previously available in our Urban Computing Skills Lab (UCSL), but includes a more vigorous learning experience to help prepare you for CUSP.
This course will incorporate weekly online tutorials in programming methods with readings on urban challenges and presentations by CUSP faculty and researchers. The course will have weekly meetings via Zoom during the class time (above). Each week, you will be assigned readings (available on the EdX course website) centered around an urban challenge. Faculty whose research relates to this topic will discuss their work during the class time. If you are unable to attend the class in person, a recording of the talk will be posted on the course website.
This course will also count towards 3 credits in the CUSP program (effectively a 10% discount on your total tuition) ONLY if you register for the Fall 2020 semester and complete a final project. The course will be available to ALL admitted students, regardless of when they start the program.
New Student Orientation
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, new student orientation will be held online. More information will be sent later this summer.
Jumpstart Your NYU Experience
- Early access to specialized career assistance. The Tandon Graduate Summer Academy will be offered in June and July to incoming Tandon graduate students.
- A series of virtual experiences throughout the rest of April and May, designed to provide valuable information and interactions to incoming graduate students who are unable to visit campus in person. More events for CUSP students will be listed on the CUSP Admitted Students Website.
- For answers to crucial questions about immigration and COVID-19, visit our COVID-19 and Emergency Information resource page. The page also includes information on US government services impacted by the current situation. We are updating this page often as new information is released by the US government and other sources.
We are so excited to have you become a member of our community, a place that celebrates you and all that you bring with you to campus. Here at NYU Tandon, we are proud of the fact that our students are Born Anywhere, and Made in Brooklyn.
We hope that once you choose to make NYU Tandon and CUSP your Grad School home, you’ll get a jumpstart on your education this summer.