- Welcome to Mario Graniero, a visiting scholar from Sapienza Universita di Roma. He will be here at CUSP through September working with Prof. Masoud Ghandehari.
- Congratulations to Zohreh (Mina) Zahiri, one of Prof. Debra Laefer’s UCD students, who will be defending her dissertation.
- Congratulations to Daniel Neill and CMU doctoral student Mallory Nobles who have been named one of five first-stage winners of the Department of Homeland Security’s Hidden Signals Challenge to pioneer new ways to detect bio-threats. Their Pre-syndromic Surveillance approach overlays real-time emergency room chief complaint data with social media and news data using the semantic scan, a novel approach to text analysis. The model detects emerging clusters of rare disease cases that do not correspond to known syndrome types. In Stage 2, they will develop the winning Stage 1 concept into a detailed system design, take part in a “Virtual Accelerator,” and compete for $200K in prize money from DHS.
- Congratulations to Professors Stan Sobolevsky and Constantine Kontokosta on their award of $85,000 from Lockheed Martin to continue his research on “Early Detection Of Threats From Urban Data.”
- Professor Stan Sobolevsky’s network theory talk, “Inferring hierarchical structure of spatial and generic complex networks through a modeling framework,” has been accepted for a prestigious conference, NetSci 2018, to take place in Paris this June.
- Laefer, DF, Vo, AV, Bertolotto, M. (in press). A spatio-temporal index for aerial full waveform laser scanning data. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. doi: 10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2018.01.012
- Nora Gyetvai, Linh Truong-Hong, Debra F Laefer. (2018) Laser scan-based structural assessment of wrought iron bridges: Guinness Bridge, Ireland. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Engineering History and Heritage.
- Cartwright, J. Salamon, A. Seals, O. Nov, and J. P. Bello, Investigating the Effect of Sound-Event Loudness on Crowdsourced Audio Annotations in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Calgary, Canada, Apr. 2018.
- Lostanlen, J. Salamon, A. Farnsworth, S. Kelling, and J. P. Bello, Birdvox-Full-Night: A Dataset and Benchmark for Avian Flight Call Detection in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Calgary, Canada, Apr. 2018.
- Kim, Jong Wook, Justin Salamon, Peter Li, and Juan Pablo Bello, CREPE: A Convolutional Representation for Pitch Estimation in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Calgary, Canada, Apr. 2018. arXiv:1802.06182(2018).