NYU CUSP invites applications for an exciting full-time Industry Assistant or Associate Professorposition! The new non-tenured, renewable faculty role will shape the future of our educational programs by serving as director of academics; collaborating with faculty and staff; coordinating all operational aspects of our MS program; and teaching graduate-level courses in urban science and technology. We seek outstanding candidates with a strong record in scholarship, administration and leadership, with a focus on the intersection between cities, science, technology, and social good. A Master’s degree or doctoral degree in an applicable field is required. NYU values equity, diversity, and inclusion and especially encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Learn more and apply: https://apply.interfolio.com/61518
- FairFrame, a startup co-founded by Maham Khan, a Teaching Assistant at CUSP and a Master’s Thesis candidate at Gallatin being advised by CUSP Professor Stan Sobolevsky, was recently featured by Forbes.
- Postdoctoral Researcher Vincent Lostanlen recently spoke at “Artificial Intelligence in Audio Processing: Applications, Advancements, and Trends.” The event featured speakers who explored recent advancements in AI and deep learning for audio, as well as the impact this work will have on the future of audio processing. Vincent discussed “Birdvox Machine Listening for Bird Migration Monitoring.” Birdvox is a collaboration between the Cornell Lab of Ornithologyand NYU’s Music and Audio Research Laboratorythat aims to investigate machine listening techniques for the automatic detection and classification of free-flying bird species from their vocalizations.
- “Impact Of Ride-Sharing In New York City,” a research project led by Associate Professor of Practice Stanislav Sobolevskyhas been selected by C2SMART as part of their Year 3 Agenda. The project will develop a citywide data-driven transportation simulation modeling framework for probabilistic assessment of the associated mode-shift and resulting environmental, social and economic impacts of ride-sharing solutions (e.g. UberPOOL, Lyft shared etc) on urban transportation system in New York City efficiently leveraging available partial transportation data.
- An interdisciplinary research team from New York University, led by Masoud Ghandehari, an associate professor in NYU Tandon’s Department of Civil and Urban Engineering and the Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP), published a comprehensive review of recent efforts to assess the impact of air pollution exposure in cities.
- “Advancing Environmental Exposure Assessment Science to Benefit Society.” Caplin A., Ghandehari M. Lim*, Glimcher P., Thorsten G.,NATURE Communications, March 2019.
- “Temperature-Induced Chemical Changes in Soundless Chemical Demolition Agents.” Natanzi, A.S., Laefer, D.F., Kakali, G., and Zolanvari, S.M.I. (2019). Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 31(7). doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-
- Leveraging Data to Help Plan Better Cities (Metropolis Magazine)
- Computers Turn an Ear on New York City (Scientific American)