- Assistant Professor S. Farokh Atashzar has been recognized as Outstanding Associate Editor, for IEEE robotics and automation letters, by the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. The award was announced during ICRA 2021 award ceremony. ICRA is the largest conference in robotics.
- Assistant Professor S. Farokh Atashzar has also been awarded an ARO grant to cover the registration fee of 100 undergraduate students for the ICASSP 2021 “PROGRESS” Workshop (PROGRESS: PROmotinG DiveRsity in Signal ProcESSing).
- Assistant Professor S. Farokh Atashzar is co-organizing two workshops at ICRA2021, “Holistic Integration (HI) of Intelligence in Dexterous Robotic Systems” and “Impact of COVID-19 on Medical Robotics and Wearables Research.”
- Assistant Professor Giuseppe Loianno organized an ICRA workshop on “Resilient and Long-Term Autonomy for Aerial Robotic Systems.” He also gave talks in two more workshops on “Visual-Inertial Navigation Systems” and “Parallel robots or not parallel robots? New frontiers of parallel robotics.”
- Congratulations to Professor Debra Laefer, who has been appointed to New York University’s Climate Change Initiative Steering Committee! NYU’s Climate Change Initiative plans to face climate crises head-on by fostering interdisciplinary research, innovative teaching, collaborative partnerships with government and industry, and academic and professional opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Professor Debra Laefer has also been appointed to the Scientific Advisory Board for the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE) Congress Nanjing 2022.
- Adjunct Professor Rodrigo Cetina Presuel recently published a co-authored volume on “The Handbook of Communication Rights, Law, and Ethics (Wiley-Blackwell 2021).” The volume delivers an extensive review of the challenges facing modern communication rights and offers readers an examination of the interplay between communication law and ethics and the role played by communication professionals in protecting individuals’ rights to communication.
- The 100 Questions’ “Food Systems Sustainability” Domain Launched by The GovLab at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the Barilla Foundation, and the Center for European Policy Studies. Learn how to participate here.
- The GovLab launched the public beta of a new tool intended to help Data Stewards — responsible data leaders across sectors — and other decision-makers assess and mitigate risks across the life cycle of a data collaborative. You can read more about the Data Responsibility Journey here.
- Sixth Sense, a Vertically Integrated Project (VIP) team led by Institute Professor Maurizio Porfiri and Assistant Professor John-Ross Rizzo, tied for second place in the 2021 VIP Consortium Innovation Competition. The Sixth Sense team is developing an integrated system of technologies to assist visually impaired individuals with navigation and obstacle avoidance. Congratulations to all the students involved!
- Mina Lee, Joseph Y. J. Chow, Gyugeun Yoon, and Brian Yueshuai He, 2021. Forecasting e-scooter substitution of direct and access trips by mode and distance. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 96, p.102892.
- John R. Pamplin and Lisa M. Bates. “Evaluating hypothesized explanations for the Black-white depression paradox: A critical review of the extant evidence.” Social Science & Medicine, Volume 281, 2021.
- Martínez-Alés, G., Pamplin, J.R., Rutherford, C. et al. “Age, period, and cohort effects on suicide death in the United States from 1999 to 2018: moderation by sex, race, and firearm involvement.” Mol Psychiatry (2021).
- Zohreh Zahiri, Debra Laefer, and Aoife Gowen. (2021). “Characterizing building materials using multispectral imagery and LiDAR intensity data.” Journal of Building Engineering. 44. 102603. 10.1016/j.jobe.2021.102603.
- Mouna Cherifi,, Salah Guenfoud, Marwa Bendaia, Sabir Hazourli, Debra F. Laefer, Jean Pierre Leclerc, and Wahiba Mecibah. “Comparative study between electrocoagulation used separately and coupled with adsorption for dairy wastewater treatment using response surface methodology design.” Desalination and Water Treatment, 223(2021) 235-245
- Rahimian, S. Zabihi, A. Asif, S. F. Atashzar and A. Mohammadi, “Few-Shot Learning for Decoding Surface Electromyography for Hand Gesture Recognition,” ICASSP 2021 – 2021 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2021, pp. 1300-1304, doi: 10.1109/ICASSP39728.2021.9413582.
- Tøttrup, Lea, S. Farokh Atashzar, Dario Farina, Ernest Nlandu Kamavuako, and Winnie Jensen. “Altered evoked low-frequency connectivity from SI to ACC following nerve injury in rats.” Journal of Neural Engineering (2021).
- Shahtalebi, Soroosh, S. Farokh Atashzar, Rajni V. Patel, Mandar S. Jog, and Arash Mohammadi. “A deep explainable artificial intelligent framework for neurological disorders discrimination.” Scientific Reports 11, no. 1 (2021): 1-18.
- Peng Zhang, Anh-Vu Vo, Debra F. Laefer, and Maurizio Porfiri. “Integrated Evolutionary Algorithms/Computational Fluid Dynamics for Drag Reduction in Highway Design.” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Volume 27 Issue 3. September 2021.
- Stanislav Sobolevsky. “Hierarchical Graph Neural Networks.” arXiv preprint arXiv:2105.03388 (2021).
- Ke Xu, Jun Yuan, Yifang Wang, Claudio Silva, and Enrico Bertini. 2021. “MTSeer: Interactive Visual Exploration of Models on Multivariate Time-series Forecast.” Proceedings of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 23, 1–15.
- Aurora Cramer, Mark Cartwright, Fatemeh Pishdadian, and Juan Pablo Bello. “Weakly Supervised Source-Specific Sound Level Estimation in Noisy Soundscapes.” arXiv preprint arXiv:2105.02911 (2021).
- Xuchu Xu, Ziteng Wang, and Chen Feng. “Projector-Guided Non-Holonomic Mobile 3D Printing.” arXiv preprint arXiv:2105.08950 (2021).
- Wang, N. J. Bryan, M. Cartwright, J. Pablo Bello and J. Salamon, “Few-Shot Continual Learning for Audio Classification,” ICASSP 2021 – 2021 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2021, pp. 321-325.
- NYU Tandon robotics researchers to present a record number of papers at the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation – features research by S. Farokh Atashzar, Ludovic Righetti, Giuseppe Loianno, and Chen Feng (NYU Tandon Newsroom)
- NEW PROGRAM: NYU CUSP’s Online Advanced Certificate can be completed from anywhere in the world, personalized to your busy schedule, and is offered at a 50% tuition discount to qualified individuals, to help meet this critical urban moment. Apply by July 15th!
- CUSP is hiring a Marketing and Communications Manager! Reporting to the CUSP Academic Director, this position is responsible for managing NYU CUSP’s marketing strategies and tools. Leveraging new and existing technologies, and in accordance with the Director and CUSP’s priorities and strategies, design web content, social media, digital marketing, and communications plans primarily for CUSP MS degree and Online Advanced Certificate program admissions. Learn more and apply here.