If you are interested in the Advanced Certificate program, you should:
- Hold a master’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution;
- Hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant field and be currently employed in a position related to the CUSP mission
Your academic and professional experience need not be in a field directly linked to cities and urban issues. It is more important that you can demonstrate rigorous prior academic training and a passion for applying analytical skills to problem-solving in an urban context.
In addition to a strong academic record and test scores, successful applicants typically have an undergraduate or masters degree in science, mathematics, engineering, or in the social sciences, along with the aptitude and inspiration to apply quantitative and mathematics skills to the betterment of urban life. In the past, we have also had competitive applicants who have obtained these skills through online courses or work experience.
We are looking for people from ALL disciplines who would like to apply their quantitative skills to pressing social issues. We recommend that applicants have some familiarity with:
- Single-variable calculus
- Basic programming (Python and R)
- Statistics and probability
- Geographic information systems and spatial analytics
- Basic computer science
There are many free online courses that our students take to augment or refresh their technical skills in these topics before applying. We suggest the following free online courses:
Please see our CUSP Application Guide for help submitting the admissions requirements in your application.
All advanced certificate applicants apply using the same application as Master’s students. The following requirements apply (Advanced Certificate students do not need to submit a GRE or GMAT score):
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- TOEFL or IELTS score (international students only)
- Resume or CV
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Essay questions
Admissions decisions are released 4-6 weeks after each admissions deadline.
Early Admissions Deadline
Regular Admissions Deadline
Final Admissions Deadline
Application Fee for All Deadlines