Administrative Data Research Facility (ADRF) Chief Technology Officer
New York University’s Administrative Research Facility (ADRF) is seeking an experienced Chief Technology Officer to join a visionary and dedicated team who can build on a successful approach and take us to the next level. Your job will be to provide technical leadership and mentoring for our team, reliably deliver infrastructure and products. You will serve as a key member of the facility’s management team setting strategic direction. You will also work with our partners in the statistical and social science research community to identify and respond to new technological needs.
The ideal applicant will have a proven record of success in system architecture, deployment, scaling and maintenance. The applicant should also have a creative mindset that drives him or her to find innovative solutions to challenging problems by taking the initiative in thought leadership, innovation and creativity. This is a full-time, yearly renewable position.
- Design, create and roll out our secure, data storage, integration, and analysis infrastructure for government agencies and a large number of researchers;
- Oversee all system design and changes in system architecture;
- Research and assess the viability of new technologies;
- Communicate technology strategy to partners, clients, potential clients, the broader administrative data research community, and investors;
- Maintain current knowledge of developments in key technical fields such as: cloud infrastructure, data technology, privacy and data security;
- Architect, lead, and work on our platform with the engineering team;
- Train, guide and develop the technology team; and
- Build an inclusive and passionate engineering culture
Qualifications and skills
- 7+ years’ software engineering and IT experience in areas related to security and large-scale, hosted, data infrastructure
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field; MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a plus
- Proven track record of success as a CTO or similar leadership role
- Python/Java – Full stack Experience, especially related to data security, storage, integration and analysis
- SQL and Database Experience
- Amazon Web Services: Experience creating and managing the AWS stack ranging from ELB to EC2, RDS, S3, and more.
- Experience with complex systems and system integration, including Linux, LDAP, OTP, web servers
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment and automation
- Familiarity with secure cloud-based computing platforms, programs and policies
- Exceptional project management and organization skills, understanding of budgets and business planning
Highly Desirable Skills
- Knowledge of data analytics and machine learning
- Prior work with or in government agencies, especially in data or technology roles
- Experience working with Scrum or another agile framework
- Experience with secure data infrastructures and government security assessment protocols such as FEDRAMP, FISMA, FERPA, HIPAA
- Previous startup experience
Location: NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress, 370 Jay Street, Brooklyn, NY
Applicant Instructions: Please submit a cover letter, CV and names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of 3 references through Interfolio.
Term: One year with the possibility of extension
Principal Investigator: Professor Julia Lane