Full Stack Research Software Engineer
The CUSP NYU Data Facility has been established to support the empirical study of cities in conjunction with New York based researchers, agencies, and citizens. It uses modern approaches to reduce the multiple technical, legal, bureaucratic, capacity, and cost barriers to access so that the full research and policy benefits can be realized. The facility has two goals: (i) ensure that new and existing urban data are made available to and used by current and future members of the research community in a state of the art facility, and (ii) staff in government agencies and local citizens are engaged by the ability to use the facility to addressing important urban problems.
The Research Software Engineer (RSE) will work on the Data Facility’s Software Engineering team on development and operations of the Data Facility Platform to ensure that students, researchers, and agency users are best able to utilize the Facility’s services and that the Facility is optimally designed for their access and analytics needs. The RSE will work to support the development of in-house and supported applications and scripts, in order to implement new features or automate current workflows.
The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment and be passionate about the role of the Data Facility in enhancing the data analytics capacity of government agencies in general and New York agencies in particular.
- Requirements development – Gather user requirements for new software by interacting with users and DF staff; develop coherent technical and non-technical documentation for the development team and DF management;
- Analysis – Investigate new open-source software tools that are identified by the development team as candidates for deployment within the Facility; report back to technical lead with findings and recommendations;
- Development – work on the DF development team to develop in-house software such as a workflow management system and a data discovery tool, always following best practices and standards. This includes but is not restricted to the development of REST APIs for users, web apps to access public data, data and software integration and automated testing;
- Operation – work to maintain in-house developed and third party tools used on the Data Facility platform;
- User and Technical Documentation – document code in order to ensure that all work is reproducible and extensible. Produce clear, comprehensive documentation to guide users when new services are added or changed significantly.
Applicant should have experience with:
- developing backend web services that expose RESTful APIs using Flask, Django, Rails, Sinatra, or similar. We use Python (with Django and Flask) and Postgres;
- provisioning and maintaining Linux servers in a cloud environment, preferably with configuration management tools like Chef or Ansible. We are hosted on AWS and use Ansible.
- experience with OAuth2 and OpenID Connect, or similar protocols;
- experience working with designers and product owners to iterate on visual designs;
- experience working with Scrum or another agile framework;
- experience with CI and CD, using Jenkins or another platform;
- experience with other programming languages such as Java and C++
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, curriculum vitae and name and contact information for at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org listing the job title in the subject line.
New York University’s Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. In keeping with this commitment, CUSP strongly encourages applications from women, people with disabilities and members of minority groups. Individuals with disabilities seeking accommodations in the application process should contact the Office of Equal Opportunity, at email@example.com.