Educational ProgramsStudy Applied Urban
Science and Informatics
DegreeAdv. Certificate in Applied Urban Science and Informatics
LengthOne Year three semesters (including summer), on a concurrent schedule with the MS program
Start DateFall Terms Only
An Extraordinary Opportunity
Apply technical skills to solve some of the world’s most important challenges
The Advanced Certificate is a 12-credit program completed over three semesters. The program enables students interested in, and capable of, focusing on the structure and development of large-scale quantitative data from diverse sources to understand urban problems and their potential solutions, particularly in operational contexts.
The Advanced Certificate program is designed for students who wish to complement previous graduate studies with applied work in urban informatics, or those with a bachelor’s degree and work experience who want to learn the capabilities of urban informatics. The four required courses in the Advanced Certificate program are a selection of those taken by students in the MS in Applied Urban Science and Informatics program.
The Advanced Certificate in Applied Urban Science and Informatics is designed for students holding a relevant master’s degree, holding an undergraduate degree in an appropriate field and currently employed, or for those who will be enrolled in MS programs at NYU, NYU-Poly, and CUSP University Partners during the time of their participation in the Advanced Certificate program.
The Certificate program will teach you how to apply informatics — data collection, management, integration, and analytics — to the tough challenges cities face to become more livable, efficient, equitable, and resilient.
For students concurrently enrolled in a master’s program, your time will be divided between semesters at your home institution and in residence at CUSP in Downtown Brooklyn where you’ll take classes alongside students in the MS program.
This is an unparalleled opportunity for you to engage in the study and practice of urban science with New York City as your laboratory and classroom, and with the support and resources of CUSP and its partners, who aim to become the world authority on the emerging field of urban informatics.
You can expect to have the following knowledge and competencies at the completion of the program:
- The ability to identify, define, collect, analyze, and communicate relevant data from diverse sources (tabular, web, sensors, etc.)
- An understanding of urban science and urban informatics and the relationship to the operation and development of cities
- The ability to identify and assess problems, evaluate data needs and analytical approaches to problem-solving, and develop solutions in real-world, multiple-constraint contexts
- The ability to utilize large-scale data to better understand city functions
- Direct, hands-on experience working in high-intensity, real-world environments with CUSP industry and agency partners
Who Should Apply for the Program?
If you are interested in the Advanced Certificate program, you should:
- Hold a master’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution;
- Hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant field and be currently employed in a position related to the CUSP mission; or
- Expect to be enrolled (either as a new entrant or continuing student) in a relevant master’s program at NYU, NYU-Poly, or a CUSP university partner at the time you will enter the Advanced Certificate program.
In all cases, you should be eager to expand and apply your technical skills to solving some of the world’s most pressing problems. Your academic and professional experience need not be in a field directly linked to cities and urban issues. It is more important that you can demonstrate rigorous prior academic training and a passion for applying analytical skills to problem-solving in the urban context. As a student in the Advanced Certificate program, you will study and work on project teams alongside students from a diverse range of academic and professional backgrounds and geographic and cultural perspectives.
All advanced certificate applicants apply using the same application as Master’s students. The following requirements apply (Advanced Certificate students do not need to submit a GRE or GMAT score):
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- TOEFL or IELTS score (international students only)
- Resume or CV
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Essay questions