Educational ProgramsStudy Applied Urban
Science and Informatics
Your academic and professional experience need not be in a field directly linked to cities and urban issues. It is more important that you can demonstrate rigorous prior academic training and a passion for applying analytical skills to problem-solving in an urban context.
In addition to a strong academic record and test scores, successful applicants typically have an undergraduate or masters degree in science, mathematics, engineering, or in the social sciences, along with the aptitude and inspiration to apply quantitative and mathematics skills to the betterment of urban life. In the past, we have also had competitive applicants who have obtained these skills through significant work experience.
We are looking for people from ALL disciplines who would like to apply their quantitative skills to pressing social issues. A selection committee may deem some applicants in need of further training to be admitted into the program. In such cases, accelerated instruction may be available during the pre-semester City Challenge Program. We recommend that applicants have some familiarity with:
- Single-variable calculus
- Basic programming (Python and R)
- Statistics and probability
- Geographic information systems and spatial analytics
- Basic computer science
Please see our CUSP Application Guide for help submitting the admissions requirements in your application.
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- GRE or GMAT score (may be waived for some candidates; please see our CUSP Application Guide for more information)
- TOEFL or IELTS score (international students only)
- Resume or CV
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Essay questions
The application for Fall 2018 entry will be released in October 2017.
Early Admissions Deadline for Fall 2018: December 15th, 2017
Regular Admissions Deadline for Fall 2018: February 15th, 2018
Final Admissions Deadline for Fall 2018: April 15th, 2018
Application Fee for All Deadlines: $120